- Posted by phytomaniac
- On March 12, 2018
Recently, I had a chance to sit down with nutrition expert Cara Carin, for some Q&A related to vegan bodybuilding nutrition (and in general). I was particularly interested to get her take in relation to the 30 Day Vegan Bodybuilding Challenge I recently finished.
Cara runs a blog and does holistic health and nutrition coaching so I was very appreciative for her to sit down and share her thoughts with me about vegan nutrition.
Here are some of the questions I went over with Cara:
- I understand vegan diets are deficient in vitamin b12 & D. Do I need to be supplementing these? If so how often?
Are there any additional considerations for someone on a rigorous exercise routine?
- How much protein will I need? Do I need to obsess over getting my daily protein intake? I’ve heard it’s hard on a vegan diet and that I have to combine many foods to get the “complete” proteins.
- Do I need to take any supplements? I want to err on the side of caution since I have so little time to build muscle. Protein powder? BCAAs? What about creatine? If so, which kinds/brands do you recommend.
- Before I was vegan I tried the dirty bulk approach by just eating anything and everything I could find. I felt like this just resulted in me carrying an extra 10 pounds of fat which I found extremely difficult to get rid of with no other real benefits. Can you talk about dirty bulk vs clean bulk and which one I should follow and why.
- How often should I eat?
- Do I need to track every calorie?
- What about macros? What should they be and how intensely do I need to be tracking
- What should I be eating/supplementing before/after workouts? If so, what.
- Is there anything you take before going to bed? Morning?
- Anything else you want to cover related to vegan nutrition?
You can watch the interview below.
You can reach Cara at the following channels: